Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Visible/Invisible Growth

Because of slowly-healing shoulder/neck/arm pain, I've been staying away from the computer as much as possible--I need a whole new ergonomic setup and am waiting for a mail-order keyboard to arrive (a cutting-edge, state-of-the-art keyboard that will not only fix my shoulder but also restore the global economy, reveal the mysteries of cold fusion, and, most wondrously, organnize my closets); however, I can't resist posting this passage from THESE THINGS WE BELIEVE by Fr. Deacon Ezra:

...[T]o become like God does not mean we amputate our humanity. Theosis is the journey of becoming like God as seen in Christ who was both fully God and fully Man... As we walk with God in the cool of the evening, as the journey of thesosis begins, we will discover that our humanity is changing. We will find ourselves in conversation with God. "O God, I don't know what to do (in this situation)." Or, "God, I don't know how to do (whatever). I'm not good at doing (whatever). Help me discover how to do (whatever)." And the miracle is we find ourselves facing (whatever) and, growing in the process, we do (whatever).

Whatever spiritual growth is taking place in our lives often remains invisible to us. What we are most keenly aware of is the growth in our humanity. We are not yet fully human...Growing in our humanity not only benefits us, it benefits most directly those closest to us...They are blesssed because of the human changes in us. Being so blessed they are drawn to the God who causes us to grow in our humanity...

(The bold face was for the purpose of this excerpt, and is not in the book).

No comments: