Thursday, February 25, 2010

More on Blind Hikers of the Appalachian Trail

**

And here's a quotation from Bill Irwin's book BLIND COURAGE:

"I had never encountered anything like the A.T. It took me to the very edge of physical and mental exhaustion almost every day. No matter how much strength I had in the morning, it was completely gone before I reached that day's destination.

I guess the Lord put me on the Trail with my blindness to let other people see what He could do. My job was to show up for work every day and walk as far as He gave me strength to walk. God needed a weak man for that job, somebody who had to depend on Him for every step. Some people feel that the Apostle Paul's 'thorn in the flesh' was failing eyesight. A few scholars think that, later in his life, he may have been almost blind. No one knows for sure what it was, but he walked a lot of miles with that 'thorn.'

Maybe it was that his toenails had fallen off, just like mine."

**

No comments: