Friday, September 18, 2009

Geeky Distractions in Church: A Story Problem


Assuming that I'm correct in my suspicion that my cell phone isn't sitting safely on the dashboard of my car where I'd intended to leave it but is instead buried like a time bomb in my purse, which is under a pew behind many people's legs, and therefore not retrievable without causing distraction, is the phone more or less likely to ring as the service progresses?

I might lean toward its being less likely, simply because there are fewer remaining minutes for it to do so, which means an ever-narrowing window of opportunity, but on the other hand, it might be more likely, since if it hasn't happened yet, the only time in which it could happen is the time that still remains.

Or maybe the second possiblity is true only if we add the variable that someone is definitely going to call during the service.

I am just mathematical enough to be disturbed by this, and to wonder if I should preemptively retrieve my purse and check, thus substituting a definite and local distraction for the merely potential but global one of my phone actually ringing, yet not mathematical enough to know how to solve it.

**

3 comments:

Anastasia Theodoridis said...

LOL! I don't know, either, so what did you end up doing?

Both of us know how to deal with it next time, of course...

Anonymous God-blogger said...

I took the chance on it not ringing, and then it turned out that it had been in my car all along!

Arimathean said...

My phone has a ridiculous external button to change ring modes. I can set it to vibrate, but if it gets jostled in my pocket it can re-set itself to "drive mode", in which it rings. On Holy Friday the year I was a catechumen, it re-set itself to drive mode. Then my friend Corey called me during the reading of the gospel at the Lamentation service.